English Language Development
- Bilingualism is an asset for learning.
- Culturally and linguistically diverse students bring many assets to the learning process that must be affirmed and developed during instruction.
- Effective language instruction in reading, writing, listening, and speaking accelerates the development of the English language.
- A partnership between the family and the school is vital to the academic growth of a student.
- Our staff members are dedicated to culturally responsive teaching.
- Our staff members are dedicated to a culture of inclusion and believe all whom we serve should be honored for who they are.
- Our staff members are dedicated to a culture of excellence.
- Teachers continue to learn, grow, and improve in the delivery of promising practices for teaching language instruction.
Family Cultural Liaisons
Our ELD population is predominantly Hispanic, therefore EPSD is dedicated to supporting our English Language Learners with bilingual, Spanish-speaking family cultural liaisons in our schools. For students and families needing support in languages other than Spanish, EPSD will make every effort to acquire written and oral translation support through outside resources and technology.
Family Liaisons in EPSD schools bridge home to school communication for families of English Language Learners.
Liaisons assist with:
- Translation of written materials
- Interpretation between school staff and families
- Parent/Family education and engagement in their child’s learning
- Assistance with community resources and referrals