Welcome to the Health Services Department, where caring for the whole child is our number one priority.
Health services in the Estes Park R-3 School District are aligned with the Mission, Value, Ends of the school to support the Whole Child. The team provides evidence-based, clinically-competent, quality care to our staff and students. Our District Nurse recognizes that each student has unique health and safety needs that require an integrated, collaborative approach to address barriers and supports related to education and health.
School health offices are staffed by highly-trained health assistants or unlicensed assistive personnel who are trained and supervised by the District Nurse. The School Nurse partners with staff, the community and health care providers to design and implement the health services provided to all students.
Essential School Health Services Provided by the District Nurse to all Estes Park School District Students:
- Ensure Colorado mandated school health services in the educational environment are met.
- Interpret student health data for child find, special education assessments and 504 accommodation plans.
- Develop and implement individual health care plans for students with health care needs.
- Ensure safe delegation to unlicensed assistive personnel by adhering to Colorado Nurse Practice Act.
- Provide First aid and triage for physical, oral and mental health concerns.
- Health Screening programs and facilitate follow-up care.
- Assure student health information is protected in accordance with Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Monitor accident/incident reports for process improvement.
- Utilize screening and health data to implement coordinated school health programs and initiatives.
- Communicate health and wellness opportunities and information to school community.
- Provide education and serve as a resource regarding child protection issues.
- Promote a safe and drug free school environment.
- Participate in a comprehensive health education programs and school health policy development.
- Assess and provide recommendations regarding environmental hazards and safety issues and assist in development of policy for a safe school environment.
- Promote and monitor immunizations.
- Educate, monitor and assist in school wide recommendations to support public health initiatives.
- Participate in the development of emergency plans and crisis response teams.
- Serve as a liaison between student, school, parent and community health care providers and organizations.
- Provide health related case management in collaboration with school social workers to assist families in accessing resources.
- Collect evidenced based data to improve and support school health services.
- Collect health data to submit for annual reports to the state.
- Collaborate with school leaders to support evidenced based health practice implementation to meet the unique needs of every child.