About your counselor...
My name is Kara McNamara, and I am so honored to be the high school counselor at Estes Park High School. In my role, I am here to support students academically, personally, and in their college planning and career development. I collaborate with faculty, staff, and administrators to work for a positive, safe school culture, to promote equity for all students, and to support individual students’ needs. I also work with community members to utilize resources and expertise that can best serve EPHS students. Our students are leaders, innovators, and change-makers, and it is my hope that I can support them in being and becoming the best versions of themselves in all facets of their lives.
For a sense of my background, I earned my master’s degree in School Counseling at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2018, and I received my B.A. from the University of Dayton in English and Psychology in 2013. Prior to school counseling, I worked in youth development in the non-profit sector for six years and am very passionate about empowering youth and leveraging individual and community strengths. My husband, Jack, and I live in Estes Park, and we love to explore all the beauty to be found here.
Please feel free to reach out to me with questions or requests for support using the contact information listed here.
The counseling office is located in the main office off of the senior locker bay. The counselor’s role is to attend to the academic, career, and personal/social development of students and provides many services to the students and the school including, but not limited to:
- Designing individual student academic programs
- Interpreting cognitive, aptitude, and achievement tests
- Counseling students with excessive tardiness and absenteeism
- Counseling students with disciplinary issues
- Collaborating with teachers to present proactive, prevention-based guidance lessons
- Analyzing grade point averages in relationship to achievement
- Interpreting student records
- Providing teachers with suggestions for student management
- Ensuring student records are maintained in accordance with state and federal regulations
- Assisting the school administrators with identifying student issues, needs, and problems