EPSD Mask Protocol FAQs
Why are masks required at EPSD?
- We want to keep students and staff SAFE and keep kids in school, while minimizing quarantines. When both parties are masked, neither individual should be quarantined if there is a COVID case.
- Wearing masks allows us to prioritize in-person learning. In school, students have opportunities to build a sense of belonging and connect with their peers and passions through activities, athletics and extra curriculars.
- We protect one another from the spread of COVID by wearing masks.
- Close Contact is now defined as being less than 3 feet for a cumulative 15 minutes in 24 hours versus 6 feet, per public health guidance.
- Close Contact quarantine exemptions include:
- Fully vaccinated
- Both parties are masked
- Positive for COVID 90 days prior
- With masks, we expect that fewer people will be quarantined. Quarantines may still occur due to exposures at lunch (no masks while eating) and high-risk activities (athletics, performing arts).
- All activities and athletics are happening with protocols.
- All secondary students can use lockers.
Hand washing and frequent cleaning practices will continue.
- Handwashing is preferred over hand sanitizer.
- Hand hygiene will happen upon arrival, after using the bathroom, before eating, after recess or completing activities that involved shared materials.
Schools will have a designated precautionary room or area to separate anyone who exhibits COVID-like symptoms.
All employees are trained on health and safety protocols.